Friday, October 28, 2011

"Nurture Your Creativity"


This post is in reply to a Facebook photo By Katie Hudnal -- Creative Work Beginners   The closest link I could find is this one to the set.  Look for the image quote by Ira Glass.

My reply to the quote:
Yes.  This is true.  "We all go through this"  The only thing I'm not going to swear by is the "deadline so that every week you finish one piece" because some of my work took four or five times that amount of time to complete even when I spent 40 hours a week on it.  Some of it still takes weeks of focus.  So, depending on the type of work you are doing, that 'one week for a project' might not fit.



So, Rather than a project a week:
Put yourself on an allowance (the amount of time each week you will dedicate to your creativity).  I have always said creativity needs nurturing so nurture it. I believe we need to remind each other to "nurture your creativity" because when we neglect it we tend to cover up our talents.  We might need to go through some of the process over again when we return to it.
*******
*******
Remnants of Echos:
I think a lot of the reason this is true is because we have a lot of internal clearing to do.  We have inner voices that tell us we are not that good.  And echos of those who just don't get it saying stuff like "don't quit your day job" to an 11 yr old with a box of hand me down colored pencils.  Or a teacher who puts other kid's stuff on display ahead of yours.  So her room decor is just so.

Those things stick and we don't even realize it.  Don't agree with it.

Creativity isn't measurable like that.  Put your passion into your work and nurture your desire to do the work.  Let the work evolve. Be consistent. 

Nurture Your Creativity,
Deb

About the Advertising: I hand picked this because a friend gave me this book when I was in my time of internal clearing.  I don't know if I would have continued on in the process without it.
The Complete Artist's Way by Julia Cameron was had selected for this post. Julia Cameron has been an active artist for more than thirty years. She is the author of twenty-eight books, fiction and nonfiction, including her bestselling works on the creative process: The Artist's Way, The Right to Write, Walking in This World, and Finding Water.
  The Complete Artist's Way: Creativity as a Spiritual Practice
  The Right to Write: An Invitation and Initiation into the Writing Life
  Walking in this World: The Practical Art of Creativity

No comments:

Post a Comment